One of the word's most famous beer companies is changing the name of its best-selling beer. The company is Anheuser-Busch (AB), which is the USA's largest maker of beer. It is going to change the name of its Budweiser beer to 'America'. The name change will be only for six months, between May 23 and November. A company spokesperson said the name change is to try and increase sales. Budweiser used to be the USA's most popular beer but it has been losing market share for over 25 years. The word 'America' will replace the word 'Budweiser' on its cans. It will also use the same font that AB uses for Budweiser. In addition, the initials "AB" will be replaced by "US".
The new name and labeling is part of Budweiser’s summer-long campaign called "America is in Your Hands". There are many important national days during the campaign period, starting with the Memorial Day weekend on May 30 and ending with the presidential elections in November. In between are the summer Olympics and Labor Day. The company wants Americans to feel proud of America – both the company and the beer. Budweiser's vice president Ricardo Marques said: "Budweiser has always strived to embody America in a bottle, and we're honoured to salute this great nation, where our beer has been passionately brewed for the past 140 years."
1. AMERICA: Students walk around the class and talk to other students about America. Change partners often and share your findings.
2. CHAT: In pairs / groups, talk about these topics or words from the article. What will the article say about them? What can you say about these words and your life?
famous / beer / companies / change / increase / popular / market share / initials /
labeling / national days / campaign / presidential elections / summer / bottle
Have a chat about the topics you liked. Change topics and partners frequently.
3. COUNTRY NAMES: Students A strongly believe country names should not be used for product banes; Students B strongly believe that is OK to use a country name as a product name. Change partners again and talk about your conversations.
4. NAME CHANGES: What would be a better name for these products and why? Complete this table with your partner(s). Change partners often and share what you wrote.
- McDonald's Big Mac
- Apple iPhone
- Sony PlayStation
- Toyota Corolla
5. BEER: Spend one minute writing down all of the different words you associate with the word "beer". Share your words with your partner(s) and talk about them. Together, put the words into different categories.
6. AMERICA: Rank these with your partner. Put the best products to be called 'America' at the top. Change partners often and share your rankings.
a video game
a kind of coffee
a headache tablet
1. TRUE / FALSE: Read the headline. Guess if a-h below are true (T) or false (F).
- The company Anheuser-Busch has changed its name to 'America'. T / F
- Budweiser's name change will be just for six months. T / F
- The name change is to make the USA more famous in other nations. T / F
- The word 'America' will be in a brand new font on the beer cans. T / F
- A new Budweiser campaign is called "America is n Your Mouth". T / F
- The campaign will end after the US presidential election. T / F
- The company wants to increase people's pride in the USA. T / F
- Budweiser has been made in the USA for around 140 years. T / F
2. SYNONYM MATCH: Match the following synonyms from the article.
- in addition
- tried hard
- well known
3. PHRASE MATCH: (Sometimes more than one choice is possible.)
- changing the name of its best-
- try and increase
- it has been losing market
- It will also use the same
- the initials "AB" will be
- part of Budweiser’s summer-
- ending with the presidential
- we're honoured to
- our beer has been passionately
- salute this great nation
- proud of America
- long campaign
- replaced by "US"
- selling beer